Sussex Drive History
Back in 1829, Sussex Street as it was known, (it didn’t become Sussex Drive until 1967) was home to just eleven log homes. Over the years it became ByTown’s busiest commercial street. In 1897, Lady Aberdeen (wife of then Governor General Lord Aberdeen) suggested Sussex Street be turned into a “beautiful and stately drive” with only “buildings of an approved type on the east side leaving the river side free and open.”
In the 1960’s the National Capital Commission launched it’s “Mile of History” restoration project which has preserved much of the streets confederation era heritage. The Earl of Sussex has been operating in this location since 1978 and continues to provide a warm relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, classic pub food and one of the nicest patios in the ByWard Market.